Divesting from Hustle Culture isn't an overnight process.
After a lifetime of conditioning, internalized capitalism isn't that easy to "just shake off."
Instead, I look at it as a journey with several stages and rest stops along the way.
Here are those stages:
- Stage 0: "I am tied to my productivity. My worth is tied to my productivity. The goal of life is to be a Productive Member of Society and work as much as possible."
- Stage 1: "Rest is valuable because it makes me more productive. So I should rest enough to optimize my productivity."
- Stage 2: "Rest is valuable on its own. There are other types of value than those useful in capitalism and my career."
- Stage 3: "Rest is actually more valuable than work. Capitalism's glorification of productivity has just effectively obscured that."
- Stage 4: "Fuck work, fuck capitalism, bless rest."
Which are you at?